CETA Robotics Workshop 1 - Basic Input/Output & Control
This hands-on workshop uncovers the basic principles involved in construction and programming of a simple autonomous line following robot.
The teacher will be equipped to integrate this activity into his/her TEJ/ICS curriculum activities and also to field a team to compete in the annual CETA Regional Robotics Competition .
The robot platform is based on a modern 32-bit microcontroller (Microchip Technology PIC32®), and is programmed using standard tools and programming languages used in industry.
Chassis fabrication is not covered in this workshop. Let your students experiment with chassis design on their own!
After the workshop the attendee shall,
- Be able to develop embedded control programs using the C-language for the PIC32® MCU,
- Be able to fabricate the robot control platform used in the CETA competition,
- Be able to configure the MCU inputs and outputs required for the robot
PART 1. INTRODUCTION
PART 2. PROCESSING
- Firmware development and Microcontroller Hook-Up
- LAB 1 - Wiring the power and MCU circuits
- 32-Bit PIC® Microcontroller Architecture and Programmer's Model
- MPLAB® XC32 Compiler Overview & C-Language Extensions for the PIC32®
- LAB 2 - Creating PIC32® C-Projects in MPLAB® X
- Working With Digital Input & Output Ports
- Basics of Brushed DC Motors & Their Control
- PIC32® Timer & Pulse-Width Modulation Peripherals
- Peripheral Pin Select
- The System Control Loop
- LAB 3 - Motor Control Using the PWM Peripheral
- What is a Sensor ?
- Optical Sensors Used in Line-Following Robots
- Processing Analog Signals on a Computer
- PIC32® Analog-to-Digital Converter Peripheral
- LAB 4 - Line Detection Using the ADC Peripheral
- Class Summary
Required Equipment & Components
The lab exercises are tested on a Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) platform, however, should also work on Linux and MAC OS/X platforms. Your PC should also have 2 available (free) USB ports. The following equipment and software should be installed/available before attending the workshop:
- Component kit: CETA Component Kit 1 - Basic (#18-00006A)
- Workshop Student Files (a download URL will be provided via email)
- Pliers & wire cutter/stripper (wire gauges used: 22AWG, 26AWG)
- Mini/Precision Screw-Driver Set
- Basic multi-meter (dc voltage/current + frequency counter function)
- (Recommended) Solder Station (suggest Hakko FX-888D)
- (Recommended) LED Magnifier Desk Lamp
- MPLAB® X IDE v3.00 or higher
- MPLAB® XC32 v1.34 or higher (Academic/Free License)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- FTDI Cable Drivers