CETA Wireless Workshop 1 - Bluetooth® Low Energy Kickstart
...if you have your own MCU, and only want to learn about the BM71 (you will be able to complete Labs 1 thru 3)
Bluetooth®Low Energy (BLE) is the most pervasive wireless communication technology available today - found on virtually all smartphones/tablets/computers.
This hands-on workshop covers everything you need to know to add a customized Bluetooth® Low Energy interface to your hardware design using the BM71 from Microchip Technology Inc.
After learning how to program and configure the module, you will learn how to interface the module to a microcontroller (Microchip Technology PIC32® is used in the class).
For TEJ teachers, this workshop will prepare your teams to enter future CETA Robotics Competitions having a remote control component.
After the workshop the attendee shall,
- Understand the fundamentals of the Bluetooth® Low Energy Protocol including device roles and data transfer models.
- Be able to develop custom BLE applications using the BM71 module.
- Be able to interface the module to a microcontroller (PIC32® is used in the class).
Demo Application Overview
Getting Started With the BM71
- Operating Modes
- Programming, Configuration, Evaluation
- MCU Interface
- UART Packet Interface & Format
- Lab 1 - Programming, Configuration & Evaluation
- Physical Layer
- Link Layer
- Making Connections (GAP)
- Lab 2 - Making Connections
- Exchanging Data (GATT)
- Lab 3 - Exchanging Data
- Define a Private GATT Service
- MCU Interface
- Basic Driver
- Lab 4 - Basic I/O Service Demo
Required Equipment & Components
The lab exercises are tested on a Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) platform. Your PC should also have 2 available (free) USB ports. The following equipment and software should be installed/available before attending the workshop:
- Android Device with Bluetooth 4.0 or higher radio and Android OS v4.4 or higher, with Nordic nRF Connect App installed
- Apple Device with Bluetooth 4.0 or higher radio and iOS 7 or higher with Nordic nRF Connect App installed from iTunes
- Component kit (see descriptions above to decide which to purchase)
- CETA Component Kit 1 (Basic + BLE) (#18-00007A), or,
- BLE PACK Add-on (#24-00007B) for CETA Component Kit 1 (Basic) (#18-00006A), or
- CETA BLE Add-on Kit (#24-00007A)
- Workshop Student Files (a download URL will be provided via email)
- Pliers & wire cutter/stripper (wire gauges used: 22AWG, 26AWG)
- Mini/Precision Screw-Driver Set
- Basic multi-meter (dc voltage/current + frequency counter function)
- (Recommended) LED Magnifier Desk Lamp
- MPLAB® X IDE v3.00 or higher
- MPLAB® XC32 v1.34 or higher (Academic/Free License)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- FTDI Cable Drivers
- Windows: TeraTerm